Oh Tuesday… looking back this day seemed to fly by. Breakfast seems like soooo long ago. But it was a delicious weekday breakfast! B1 got up early to squeeze some oranges for fresh OJ, made migas (scrambled eggs with tortilla chips mixed in – if you haven’t had them, try them soon, they’re delicious!), and fry up some bacon, served with some avocado slices on the side. Great way to start a work day!
Work was quiet and productive so I guess that was good 🙂 I did leave a half hour early so we could have the home inspection done on the house we put an offer in on. Everything went well, so pending a successful appraisal we are hoping to close by the end of April. But we won’t be moving in right away as one of the current owners is a doctor finishing his residency and they’ll be renting back from us until the end of June when he’s done and they move out of state. So this will be a great lesson in patience for me. Not my strongest suit that’s for sure!
Ummm, Noah also brought home a couple Sriracha Chocolate Bacon Cookies that a girl he works with made. These were weird, delicious, intriguing, smoky, spicy, chewy, molasses-y and I will definitely be making them soon. She shared her recipe so I can’t wait to try my hand at baking some! Sorry no photos (we gobbled them right up!) – basically they just looked like molasses cookies, so you’ll have to wait for photos until I make some…
We got home late so we had leftovers, but I wanted to share the Spaghetti Squash Carbonara recipe that I promised with you. We had this about a week ago with some grilled steaks and it was easy and oh so tasty! I just love spaghetti squash. If you haven’t tried it this would be a great recipe to give it a go.
Spaghetti Squash Carbonara
1 spaghetti squash
4 slices of bacon (or more if you really like bacon. Who doesn’t right?)
1 Tbs butter
1 Tbs olive oil
1 clove of garlic – minced (or if you have a garlic press that works wonderfully)
1 ½ C green peas – frozen, but partially thawed
1 egg, beaten
½ C parmesan cheese
Black pepper, freshly ground – generous amount: about 12-15 turns of the grinder
- Cook and prepare squash:
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut off stem end of squash then cut in half length-wise.
- Place both halves flat side down on a foil-lined baking sheet (makes for easier clean up!)
- Bake for approx. 30-40 minutes or until tender/sharp knife inserts easily into the flesh of squash.
- Remove from oven and let cool for about 5 minutes or so.
- Using a fork scrape the flesh of the squash (trying to keep in long strands) into a bowl and set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large frying pan. I usually like really crispy bacon, but it works best in this recipe if the bacon still has a little chew.
- Remove from pan and drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Cut slices into ½ inch little bits. Set aside.
- Drain most of bacon grease and wipe out pan; return to medium heat. Add butter and olive oil to pan. Add garlic and sauté for about 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Add spaghetti squash and peas. Cook stirring occasionally for about 2 minutes.
- Add parmesan cheese to the beaten egg and stir. Add egg mixture to squash.
- Cook and stir for about 5 minutes, until squash and peas are heated through.
- Add black pepper to squash and cook for about 1 minute more. Turn off heat and stir in bacon.
We watched last night’s episode of The Blacklist…I think this show is just getting better as the season goes on. Liz is starting to grow a backbone and act a little tougher. And I just love James Spader – he’s amazing every week!
Enjoy the rest of your evening and have a seriously wonderful Wednesday!